the seductive lure of the spring garden





It's funny how in spite of being short sighted all my life, I can spot an aspiring weed from a thousand paces. And with the transitory rise in temperature, the deadly battle of wits against the unwanted persistent plants called weeds, has resumed.

Actually it only looked as if the warm weather had arrived. Right now it's cold (for Melbourne cold is 9 to 15 degrees) and raining hard causing flooding in some places.

The garden is lush with spring growth and this is wonderful. But ... I am thinking ahead. This very wonderfulness may lead to problems later when it's summer and conditions get harsh and tricky. The spring annuals grow and shade the ground, making it impossible to mulch until they seed themselves and die. By this time there will be bare areas of earth and the perennials will be unprotected. But can I resist plants suggestively named love in the mist and opium poppies?

There is so much growth. It's untidy, ungainly and just asking to be trimmed. But with climate change it's no longer a good idea to prune whenever I have the time. I should leave as much of this growth on trees and shrubs as I can bear, to make sure there is summer shade later. But with spring annual flowers, it's a case of enjoy now, try not to worry about tomorrow.

Comments

  1. How I envy you facing Spring and not what is already a cold Autumn, soon to be Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wonderful spring display now in your garden. Hope we can enjoy more of it before the harsh heat come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a beautiful Spring garden, Catmint. It doesn't look untidy to me, it looks full of interest. Where are those weeds?

    I know as the weather patterns appear to be changing it's not always sensible to rely on past practices, well they say change is as good as a holiday! Keeps us on our toes!

    I finally got to see your garden on the Gardening Australia show ... I managed to see it online and it was a great segment. Your garden looked terrific and it was lovely to 'meet' you face-to-face so-to-speak! I thought you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Catmint, What pretty pictures of your garden in Spring. I should not care a jot about the untidiness since there is so much joy in seeing the lushness of this first flush of growth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I love to pop down under and see Spring while I'm loving my fall plants! I love that second long shot of your garden and the one with the path...so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hermes, it is true we are approaching hot and you cold, but I do love the fact that we have 4 distinct seasons.

    Hi MKG, thanks for the comment.

    Hi Bernie, I'm so pleased you like the GA segment. It feels a bit weird, like 'coming out', revealing my name and face. But it's OK because I'm actually feeling more confident now about the garden and I really enjoyed the interview and filming.
    You don't see the weeds because if I spot them they're dead.

    Hi Edith, thanks for the sensible encouraging words.

    Hi Cheryl, it is funny how we're opposite in the seasons. Inviting is how I want the paths to be, so it's worked.(after 30 years of trying).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost have to trip over weeds to find them!

    I'm about to face my first summer in my new garden, so I'll have something of a learning curve ahead of me. One thing that all this rain has done is remove any gaps where soil of much is visible. Things are growing like mad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks so lovely and as you say . . . Lush! I love that your spring is now as we turn towards winter. It will be fun to visit you doing our dark days to see what grows in your part of the world. I think you are smart to think of shade for the summers are getting hotter the world over. I was so happy to have found you at B. then I got crazy busy and lost you but now I have found you again and added you to my bloglist so as not to miss any more posts! Happy Spring to You! ;>)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment