life and death in the garden: an update

This is a happy feel-good sequel to my recent post life and death in the garden.

1. The caterpillar does not appear to have eaten destructively in the garden and hopefully is now one of the lovely butterflies I have seen flying around.

2. The dead possum was not the one that lives in my garden. How do I know this? Because yesterday the lid of the nesting box was up. I climbed the tree (very proud of this) and checked the box. Possum was curled up cosily. So I put the lid down and climbed down (phew - survived!) Pleased I did this because today it is raining hard and the nest would have got very damp.

3. This is the best news: THE BLACKBIRD SITTING ON THE NEST RIGHT OUTSIDE THE BACK DOOR HAS HATCHED 4 CHICKS. They are about a week old, and growing bigger every day. Mother and father spend most of the day flying backward and forwards bringing them food.




Comments

  1. Hello! I saw your comments at Garden Girl and In the Garden, two blogs I regularly read. Because I love catmint (and cats), I thought I'd swing by. The blackbird babies are so sweet! It is hard handling death int he garden, whether plant or animal... I had a cardinal fly into my window and die the other day. (Even though I have those reflective things stuck on the windows!) By the way, my parents (who are/were German and Austrian and who now live/d in the US) lived in Oz for a while, including Melbourne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like the birth of baby chicks to brighten one's day. We are gaga when the garden comes to life with the newly hatched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be surrounded by so much wildlife. I love the blackbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about your Possum. Always goo to see baby birds - I bet the parents are exhausted with all the coming and going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I'm happy it wasn't your possum.

    What a privilege to be able to observe the new bird family so close up! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mother bird has found a good place/home for her babies. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect place for a nest! How cozy warm and protected. Great update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again,
    I sent you an email... wonder if it made its way to you?
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post and such good news

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment