new home for possums

In a previous post I wrote about the not-very-bright ringtail possum which has been living in my garden since it was a baby. From the start I felt that this possum was in need of protection. It has been living in a nest in a pittosporum bush near the house. I can easily see the nest and its occupants when I stand on tiptoes.

Recently I spotted 2 long curved tails with white ends, so it has found a mate. Unfortunately the nest has been slowly disintegrating, to the point that I was afraid the possums would get sunburnt.

Melbourne Wildlife Sanctuary aims to protect wildlife in the suburbs. Certain mammals and birds frequently come into urban areas to feed from native trees planted in suburban gardens. However they are unable to breed due to the lack of sufficient nesting hollows.

So I acquired a nesting box specially designed for ringtail possums, nailed it to the large tree near the compost and hoped they would make it their new home. Every day I looked at the nest. The possums were still inside. Today, Day 4, the nest was empty.



I assume they are safe and secure in the nesting box. I am so happy I have helped them. And now I can trim the pittosporums which are getting straggly like the abandoned nest.

Comments

  1. That's sweet Catmint. I hope the babies emerge when you've got your camera in hand. Although I'm not a fan of the possum, the babies are incredibly cute. It's cool that they know your garden is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the possums have moved into their new home. I like wildlife in the garden too (good and bad) and although I complain about my squirrels I know they are doing what is natural. Besides I get a lot of fun trying to outwit them (lol)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment