about this blog



I started this blog in 2008. It started mainly as a way of tracking the evolution of my dry garden, and that led to an interest in photography and in the creatures that live in the garden. It's still about the garden and wildlife, but now my passion is thinking about how we humans can learn to co-exist with wild animals and plants, especially in urban areas.

Tuesday, 26 August 2008

what is a garden?


I have discovered an exciting book that is highly relevant to my interest in reflecting on the meaning(s) of gardening - David E. Cooper's A Philosophy of Gardens. So far I have only managed to obtain the first 20 pages.

In the introduction Cooper tries to define a garden. This is no straightforward matter. He tells a story about a lorry driver delivering a load to the house of the great architect and garden designer Geoffrey Bawa. The lorry driver looked at the informal garden admiringly and remarked: "This would be a lovely place to have a garden."

This reminds of the day 5 year old Gabriella visited us. She gazed out the window gravely and with considerable interest. She realized that she was looking at a garden, but not one that conformed to her previous experiences of gardens. "Why is the garden so dirty?" Gabriella asked her mother.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - Your post made me laugh - twice. Have come in from Blotanical. Wanted to leave you a welcome message on the site there, but it's loading so slowly ...
    Anyway, when Stuart gets the problems sorted I hope we'll see you around a lot - it's usually a fun place to be.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi catmint; Thank you for your message. When you are in the plots you can click "my blogs" and the blogs come up. I leave you my url.
    You will soon get the hang of it; at the beginning it is all a bit of a maze. I like your blog and your thoughts about gardening. I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Sue and Titania for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts