about this blog



I started this blog in 2008. It started mainly as a way of tracking the evolution of my dry garden, and that led to an interest in photography and in the creatures that live in the garden. It's still about the garden and wildlife, but now my passion is thinking about how we humans can learn to co-exist with wild animals and plants, especially in urban areas.

Saturday, 23 February 2008

plants in my garden












Here is a list of the top performers in my garden - lovely looking, reliable and virtually indestructible in the right place in soil that suits them - they include Australian natives and "exotics" - I like to mix them together.

Trees or shrubs:
Tea Tree, or leptospermum - a few varieties
Baeckias - a few varieties
Eucalyptus Leucoxylon Rosea Dwarf form - a smaller gum tree for a suburban garden
Thyptomene Calycina
Cotinus or Smoke Bush
Adenanthos Sericea or Red Flowering Albany Woollybush - I've planted it in a semi circle around a seat for cosiness
Banksia rose, white and yellow
Plumbago - covers the fence on 3 sides in the front garden, I see it as a picture frame

Medium size - from about 30 - 100 cms plus:
Hellebores - a few different varieties - all prefer shade and self seed.
Blue Fescue grass - I use it for edging a curving path.
Euphorbia - self seeds generously
Correa Pulchella - salmon coloured flowers, Australian native
Culcita Dubia or Rainbow Fern - needs shade but thrives without water
Red Valerian - old fashioned flowering plant
Lomandra - Australian native grass in different sizes, fantastic for green fillers or statements.
Salvia Iced Lemon - great gap filler, great planted in groups
Garlic chives - white starry flowers - every so often I divide them and they've kept increasing in number for 20 years
Tulbaghia violacea or Society Garlic - pink flowers
Echiums - statuesque even when not in flower
Brachysema - Australian native, wattle birds love the red or black flowers, they like shade.
Limonium perezii or Sea Lavender - nearly always in flower, blue flowers, generous when divided
Derwentia perforliata - also known as Diggers Speedwell

Ground cover:
Catmint - my namesake
Forget - Me - Not - self seeds
Love In the Mist - self seeds
Poppies - self seeds
Seaside daisies - divide and increase
Oregano - divide and increase
Achillea - pink flowers - helps compost break down quicker - divide and increase

I could list more, but these really are my top favourites.

2 comments:

  1. If you like Hellebores especially those with Green flowers - You have to see the Heronswood Nursery collection which includes Helleborus x hybridus 'Phoenix'. Masses of olive green flowers with a burgundy margin bloom in early March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, thebench. I am familiar with this helleborus, it is divine. I plan to write a post on where I get my plants, and Heronswood is THE place for non natives.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts