spring garden pics


This smoke bush has been moved at least six times. It has survived, even thrived and seems to be enjoying its well deserved rest. I think it will stay in this position, it looks right, but you cannot be sure of the future ...


In an earlier post I wrote how I took out lots of opium poppies. But I left them in the front garden, never want to be completely without them ...




This climbing rose and I have been together for a long time - at least 25 years. Some years it is covered with aphids. A couple of years ago I hacked it back a lot. As you can see, it didn't mind in the least. It is an old fashioned rose, and I cannot remember its name.





This is called a chocolate lily. It is a bulb, disappears before the heat of summer and returns the following spring. It is an Australian native, so called because it has a chocolatey perfume. It reminds me of the delicate orchids I have seen while bushwalking. Its botanical name is Arthropodium strictus. I planted it about ten years ago.

Comments

  1. The smokebush is indeed awesome! A hardy fellow too that usually doesn't mind being moved. Good thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool plants! Especially the smokebush and opium poppy. I like opium poppy colour very much. And wow that rose is 25 years old already? That's commendable. Have a pleasant evening :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your purple poppies are absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, after seeing your picture it reminded me how I REALLY NEED some purple poppies . . . but I don't have a great spot for them. Hmmm. I love that last picture - magic! What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi VW, You do need quite a bit of space for those poppies. They are not very sociable plants.

    My camera is a Nikon SLR. Some photos are wonderful like the chocolate lily pic, others are very mediocre and I don't really know why or how this happens! I do want and intend to learn more (and you are an inspiration to me) but am scared and technically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You won't be moving that smoke bush soon when it gets as big as my daughters which is about 15 feet tall. The poppy colours look nice in the forground and I love your rose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tatyana, I can see from the top photo in your blog that you are also a poppy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Catmint! I enjoy reading your blog so much. I love that it is the exact opposite season then where I live and the fact that you often feature plants that I have never seen before. I love the color of the smoke bush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great color on that smokebush. I used to have an orchid with a chocolatey fragrance. I'm leaving you an honest scrap award - no pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Catmint, how is your spring going? Your smoke bush out lived mine and it was only moved three times. I think the soil got too dry last summer. Darn. Yours looks great. These poppies look like 'Lauren's Grape' my favorite. Love the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you dear cyber friends, for your appreciative comments.
    Wendy - thank you for the scrap award - it is a challenge - I will try not to feel pressure - breathe slowly, slow gardening, slow blogging, slow living is the aim ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment